My last tutorial focussed on the Frying Pan OLLs, which I described as the two L-shape patterns with a bar on the side. A youtube commenter quickly pointed out that there were, in fact, four L-shape OLLs with a bar on the side– the two Frying Pan ones (##53-54) and the two Squeezy ones (##49-50). I promised to do a new tutorial that added the Squeezies. Then I realized that there are a total of only six L-shape cases. So, why not add the Breaknecks (##47-48), too, and make it a comprehensive L-shape OLL tutorial?
The video below does just that. While the algorithms are not necessarily hard to execute — for the Squeezies, it’s just about finding the right finger-tricks and flow — the six cases are easy to confuse. Below the video are the algs and some simple rules to help distinguish and orient the cases.
Here are the algs:
|OLL #49: right back squeezy
Rw U’ Rw2′ U Rw2 U Rw2′ U’ Rw
setup: Rw’ U Rw2 U’ Rw2 U’ Rw2 U Rw’
|OLL #50: Right Front Squeezy
Rw’ U Rw2 U’ Rw2′ U’ Rw2 U Rw’
setup: Rw U’ Rw2 U Rw2 U Rw2 U’ Rw
|FRYING PAN OLLs|
|OLL #54: Anti-Frying Pan
(Rw U R’ U) (R U’ R’ U) (R U2′) Rw’
setup: (Rw U R’ U) (R U’ R’ U) (R U2′) Rw’ U
|OLL #53: Frying Pan
(Rw’ U’) (R U’ R’) U (R U’ R’) U2 Rw
setup: (Rw’ U’) (R U’ R’) U (R U’ R’) U2 Rw U’
|OLL #48: Breakneck
F (R U R’ U’) (R U R’ U’) F’
setup: F U (R U’ R’) U (R U’ R’) F’
|OLL 47: Anti-Breakneck
R’ U’ (R’ F R F’) (R’ F R F’) U R
setup: R’ U’ (F R’ F’ R) (F R’ F’ R) U R
And here are the orientation “rules”:
- If there’s a bar (corner-edge-corner grouping facing out), orient it to the left.
- If orienting the bar left puts headlights (two corners, but no edge) facing right, it is a Frying Pan case.
– If L is toward the back of the top face, it is the anti- case (#54)
– If L is toward the front of the top face, it is the main case (#53)
- If orienting the bar left makes the right side of the top layer blank (no corners or edge facing out), it is a Squeezy case.
– If L is toward the back of the top face, it is the right-back case — duh! (#49)
– If L is toward the front of the top face, it is the right-front case (#50)
- With the Squeezy and Frying pan cases, first turn will be a wide-right toward the L.
– Rw (or r), if L is toward the back of the top face
– Rw’ (or r’), if L is toward the front of the top face
- If there is no bar on any of the four sides of the top layer, it is a Breakneck. Orient the adjacent out-facing edge and corner stickers to the front.
– If L is toward the left of the top face, it is the main case (#48)
– If L is toward the right of the top face, it is the anti- case (#47)
Another set of OLLs down....